Peace is when people are able to resolve their conflicts without violence and can work together to improve the quality of their lives.
Peace is when:
- everyone lives in safety, without fear or threat of violence, and no form of violence is tolerated in law or in practice
- everyone is equal before the law, the systems for justice are trusted, and fair and effective laws protect people’s rights
- everyone is able to participate in shaping political decisions and the government is accountable to the people
- everyone has fair and equal access to the basic needs for their wellbeing – such as food, clean water, shelter, education, healthcare and a decent living environment
- everyone has an equal opportunity to work and make a living, regardless of gender, ethnicity or any other aspect of identity